Monday, February 18, 2013

Purse Project

So I got a couple of gorgeous new handbags for Christmas this year.  They are both on the larger side as I transition away from diaper bags, so that I can still fit things in that the boys need.  But while having a larger purse is nice so you can fit all those items like wet wipes, a spare diaper, snacks and a matchbox car along with all my items, it does tend to get a little disorganized (ok, a LOT disorganized!).  So after looking around in the blogosphere and on Pinterest, I came up with an organizational system that I think is working fantastically- meaning, I can now find what is in my bag!  Here is my project!

Step 1: Dump entire contents of purse on floor in order to discover how much crap is really in there!

Step 2: Throw away most of aforementioned crap and decide what items are essential.

 Step 3: Find a small box and measure how tall it will need to be to fit in the purse.  Cut and tape box to fit inside.

Step 4: Cover box with super fantastic patterned duct tape.  I used zebra, and when I ran out of that used cheetah- you know, 'cause it's a jungle in there!  Then cut some small squares of cardboard to tape in box to act as dividers, using items you kept as a guide.  Cover those with super cool tape as well!

 Step 5: Admire your work!

 Step 6: Fill 'er up!  I have compartments for wallet, checkbook/coupon file, wipes/tissues/snack, sunglasses, keys/lotion.  


Step 7: Insert box into handbag and admire your amazing skills at organization!

Voila!  An excellently designed system in a lovely purse!

And P.S. I have been using this now for several weeks and it works great!  You could probably get really fancy and use fabric too, but I am loving the overall effect!



2 comments:

  1. Nice project. I am not convinced it would stay organized in my purse, but i could use the divider elsewhere in my home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to be organized like that. Okay, once in a while I still come through. I loved your comment "you know, cause it's a jungle in there." So true and the fancy duct tape sure did a nice job. I'm going to keep that in mind for a drawer organization idea. Hmmm.

    ReplyDelete